Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Toast to Healing Bones

I want to wear matching shoes again
Okay, I've been taking good care of my left ankle to let it heal, but as so many of you know, it's really inconvenient.  Today, Dr. David Anderson looked at my X-ray and gave me a new behavior prescription:
I start putting weight on my foot even as I wear the boot and use my crutches.
I start sleeping without the boot (Part of me feels really vulnerable at that prospect and another part is raising a glass of champagne to toast the renewal of life in that bone.)
I get to move around in a "controlled environment"(like home, but sans 1, 3, and 5 yr.-olds) without the boot whenever I want and
I start physical therapy in two days to learn the best way to start walking with that foot again… My hands and arms have gotten stronger from "walking" on them, but they remain sore.  It will be good to take some of the pressure off of them.
He says in about four weeks, I should be boot and crutches free!

And a toast to all of you kind souls, friends and family, who always have and will continue to help and support me, most of all my Ken, in so many ways, but each of you in your lovely and unique ways.
It's not over and the bloom of this bit of progress will fade, but in this moment, I'm deeply grateful for so many things.

Ken with Leo last summer

1 comment:

  1. I suppose you're wondering what's so special about 2 and 4 year-olds.

    ReplyDelete