Saturday, October 4, 2014

SANDY HILL FARM

Today, Ken and I got up early and drove down to Toledo for a birthday party.  Ken's old friend from childhood and his dad's cousin, Dale Slingluff, turned 100 years old.  We were delighted to see Dale and many other people at the party and enjoyed a long leisurely lunch with Aunt Maureen catching up on things and stuff.

As we headed back to Marshalltown for a little rest before a Maid Rite supper, we decided to first drive out to see the farm where Ken grew up .  As we sat by the side of the rode looking up the hill/up the driveway, I noticed a guy out in the yard watching us.  I felt a little sheepish and told Ken we were being watched.  He decided to drive up the lane and talk to the guy and explain why we were there.  They chatted awhile, then his wife, Sandy, came into the yard with a basket full of brown eggs.
Some of these chickens lay blue and green eggs!

(Did I mention there were a lot of chickens scattered about the place?)  I sat in the car... it was really cold and windy until I started to feel left out.  One of the chickens poked her head up over the sill of the car floor a few times as Ken had left his door open.  I found a sweater and put my down vest over it and got out to listen to the reminiscing and questions etc.
There's lots more, but here, I'll just say we spent a good hour with this lovely couple chatting about the history of the farm, what they're doing with it, got a tour of the house and the remodeling they're doing and met their four children.  We came away delighted and exhilarated!
Then... we went for our well-earned maid rite.  And what has been here-to-fore known as the Moffett farm is now called "Sandy Hill Farm".  Check it out on FaceBook.
Ken and current owners Sandy and Darcy Rasmussen..
.and a couple of the 500 laying hens

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! It's so heartening to reconnect with our past and then to get to see how it has grown.

    By the way, I love Maid Rites, too!

    ReplyDelete