I'm back in Lake View, my mom and Dad's last home town. It's changed so much in a little over a year since I've been here. Change: I know it's going to happen. I accept that it does on the rational level. And yet, I lament that it isn't what I remembered.
It IS, however, very beautiful here this year and the park is so well kept. They trim and cut the grass in just the right places. The trees swish and rustle in the wind and that lets me feel the comfort of its familiar beauty and relax.
I decided to take the highway that goes through Humboldt so I could stop to see "Auntie", that's my Aunt Gloria, Mom's sister. I found her house okay, and we had a rather short visit. She has Parkinson's disease and walks with a walker now. Her hair is a beautiful snowy white. I think those four sisters look more and more alike as they age(d). She says she isn't interested in crocheting her rag rugs anymore, nor in making quilts like she has for donation through her church for so many years. I wondered what she does with her time and it seems it just kind of slips away to doctor's appointments, the fact that each daily activity takes more time, and she depends on others for so many things now. When it was time to go, I asked her for a hug and we just stood in the kitchen and hugged each other tight for a long time. It wasn't until I'd backed out of the driveway and headed for the highway that I thought it could be the last time I hug her. It was so sweet and I was so glad I stopped to see her even though the last time we talked was before Mom died. Auntie is more of a "doer" than a talker. I remember her as being rather annoyingly practical, but she loved her pets and she sometimes told stories and her laugh would make me laugh. She played cards with us at family gatherings, but I did wonder why. I learned just today that she never liked being around water. She said it as if it was a bit of a mystery... and then she just mentioned that she couldn't swim.
No comments:
Post a Comment