Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Christmas Sweet Soup

For years I've kept the letter that Mom wrote to me that included her fruit soup recipe.  Now, four years after she passed away, I'm finally making it.  She always made it at Christmas time and I think her mom did too.  Part of the trouble is that I'm the only one who likes it here.  But this year, I'm going to invite my very Scandinavian (blonde, blue-eyed) friend, Cindy, over for a cup of coffee and some sweet soup.  It's made of dried fruits and I've always assumed that it was a Danish tradition.  I think Mom may have changed the recipe over the years, so I'm hoping I like this one.
As it simmers on the stove and I give it a stir, I think I should have gotten some smaller prunes for this and then I remembered we used to have to spit out the seeds from the prunes.  Funny.
It's almost done and I remember the pink depression glass cookie jar she always put it in.  If I had one, that would be where I put it.

Merry Christmas, Momma.

1 comment:

  1. It looks good to me, Barb! The recipe I have is Swedish/Norwegian. In it are dried, cut up apricots, prunes, orange juice, and perhaps raisins and cinnamon. It can be made in a crock pot. Anyway, I think it's delicious! I'm glad you have your recipe in your mom's handwriting. You should look for a pink depression glass container at an antique store to keep the tradition going.

    ReplyDelete