There are markers in the seasons that take me back to my childhood. I think, as in a song I love, we "need a little water from another time" to sustain us, as adults. When I was a kid, on the farm, my parents used to buy what they called "lugs" of fresh stone fruits when it was in season. Really all I remember are peaches and bing cherries. the peaches were good, but, every summer, I got addicted to bing cherries as soon as I put one in my mouth, pulled off the stem as I held the cherry behind my teeth, and bit through the skin to my first taste of a crisp, juicy, sweet cherry. It was like heaven for as long as that 18 X 24 X 8 inch box lasted with four kids and two adults. That box in the cool basement haunted me until it was empty. I think Mom and Dad liked seeing us kids enjoy the fruit more than they liked eating it themselves and ...I still love bing cherries!
Sunday, July 18, 2010
Childhood memories!
There are markers in the seasons that take me back to my childhood. I think, as in a song I love, we "need a little water from another time" to sustain us, as adults. When I was a kid, on the farm, my parents used to buy what they called "lugs" of fresh stone fruits when it was in season. Really all I remember are peaches and bing cherries. the peaches were good, but, every summer, I got addicted to bing cherries as soon as I put one in my mouth, pulled off the stem as I held the cherry behind my teeth, and bit through the skin to my first taste of a crisp, juicy, sweet cherry. It was like heaven for as long as that 18 X 24 X 8 inch box lasted with four kids and two adults. That box in the cool basement haunted me until it was empty. I think Mom and Dad liked seeing us kids enjoy the fruit more than they liked eating it themselves and ...I still love bing cherries!
Labels:
Clark farm memories,
senses
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment