Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I've rediscovered Dayquill


So, now I'm not going crazy with what seems like attacking my raw, vulnerable throat with coughing and I'm not sleeping all the time.
I'm not sure this is a good thing, but it's wonderful to have those few hours of relief from incessant coughing.
I've taken this opportunity to read an old classic that is way different from the impression I had. A room of One's Own was published in 1929 with this explanation: "This essy is based upon two papers read to the Arts Society at Newnham and the Odtaa at Girton in October 1928. The papers were too long to be read in full, and have since been altered and expanded."
The topic for these talks was to be women and fiction. It was about women and fiction... but on a much deeper level than one would expect.
I am blown away, given the reputation of Virginia Woolf that I'm familiar with through the media, I'm blown away by the sensitivity expressed in this essay. Maybe if I was a man, I'd see it differently, but I think she treats the subject of male dominance fairly and with responsibility. I assume, in 1929, her ideas were radical, but now, we aren't shocked by them and can appreciate the wisdom more easily. And, her lessons are for writers in general, yes, both genders, though I don't know how men would feel about the descriptions of the limitations on women still in place in 1929. BRAVO, VIRGINIA! AND THANK YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment