Thursday, September 6, 2012

Rear-ended

Damage to my car
 Yesterday, I got rear-ended while I was on my way to meet with my writer's group over in St. Paul.  Someone pulled out in front of me and I had to stop suddenly.  Of course, I was thinking, "whew, that was close..." and then I got hit from behind.  It was on Lexington and he wasn't speeding much. I think he was just not looking.  I was amazed at the extent of damage to his car (with so little to ours), but Ryan says they're built to do that; to absorb the shock and prevent damage to the people in the car.  Hard, but it really is a good thing.  I had a little sore neck, but I don't think any long term damage and I don't think the other guy was hurt either... maybe his pride and of course, his pocket book.  He got a ticket from the policewoman who came to assess and fill out a report.
Damage to his car

Contemplative drawing (outside with a few sprinkles)



















Today, while I was drawing this it occurred to me that we don't know who we think we are.  And that's the real reason we keep hearing that cranky voice in our heads saying, "Who do you think you are?" 

2 comments:

  1. Barb, I'm sorry to learn of you being rear-ended and hope the sore neck goes away quickly. Those things are scary - coming out of nowhere.

    Have a great trip! You'll do just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The neck thing turned out to be little more than the suggestion of a worry. I think it helped that I took time to process the shock to my body in that moment, integrating what I felt and what I thought. I'm fine!
    And, while I was gone, Ken took the Forester in and it has a (I wanted to say shiny, but bumpers aren't shiny any more) brand new back bumper. We're both good to go!

    ReplyDelete