Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Yucky Saturday

On Saturday morning, as I was lolling in bed waking up slowly, I felt a shift in my inner ear, specifically the semi-circular canals,where those teeny, tiny little hairs and some fluid, help us maintain balance. This time, I knew instantly that I was in for some serious vertigo and nausea. Sure enough, when I rolled over to sit up and raise my body out of bed, I was hit with a spinning room and a wave of nausea. I laid there awhile waiting for it to subside, thinking what to do, wondering if Ken was home or still out walking, determined he was probably home and decided, since I was facing the floor, to pound out s-o-s to get his attention. It worked, but not because of my clever use of Morse code, just because it was loud and it alarmed him.
I was relieved to hear him bounding up the stairs so I could share my misery and get some sympathy. Then we started searching the internet to find a rather tricky maneuvering strategy (Epley Maneuver) designed to manipulate "alleged" rogue crystals in one of the semi-circular canals into a less nauseating position at the lower (I think) end of the canal. Ken, my amazing internet researcher, found it rather quickly. So, after I reminded him that since I was in a fragile state and he would be teaching me, there would be no points awarded for speed in conveying information or directions, we proceeded with the maneuver. It did help. My past experiences were much worse, but it wasn't just gone, as other people have reported. I talked with my Dr. about it yesterday and she called it "peripheral vertigo". It's commonly called BPPV (benign paroxysmal peripheral vertigo).

No comments:

Post a Comment