Friday, February 5, 2010

Jazzy, snazzy techno-trouble



I've been trying out some new hearing aids and a streamer (blue tooth) to connect my hearing aids with my cell phone and a few other options, and a land line phone adaptor. I have to take them back tomorrow with a decision. I hooked them up again on Sunday, but by Tuesday, neither of them were working. I couldn't find time to trouble shoot until this afternoon. I tried everything I could think of, even went through the manuals and found the "trouble shooting" section. Then I called my audiologist who had already declared that she wouldn't be able to help with technical difficulties. I accept that, but called to see if there was someone at the U. S. site who might help me. She gave me a number which turned out to be a fax number, so I went looking for one online. I got to an audiologist who promptly asked for my "account number". Nope, don't have one. She tells me she's not supposed to talk to the general (hearing impaired) public. Explaining my situation, I told her I was not going to buy the equipment if I didn't get some "support". She gave it a half hearted shot (better than nothing, but no help). So, when I hung up, I sat for a bit and made the decision, disappointed once again in the technology that I have relied on for about 30 years, I'm giving it up. I'm sad and discouraged. I wanted it to work! I think the technology is so focused on technology: phones, t v's, I pods, I phones etc. that they've sacrificed qualities of hearing in the real world and, just like with our laptops, you need a "genius" around to figure it out when it doesn't work.
To distract myself I went out walking and looking for pictures. I made this one. It's an interactive still life. The leaf was disappointing, so I jazzed it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment