Saturday, June 9, 2012

North Shore @ Grand marais

Poppa on the balcony looking out on Lake Superior
One of the flower boxes at Drury Lane Books in Grand Marais  Aren't the colors great!
 
We've had a wonderful day in Grand Marais.   It's been foggy most of the time and for us folks who love our rain porch, fog is a good thing.  We slept in late and didn't go out of the room until 9:30 and then went to the donut shop for a tide-us-over until lunch.  We had lunch at "The Pie Shop" after window shopping at the Sievert's Gallery and looking over all the old cars at the ...old car show on Main Street.  We sort of made friends with one of the owners at the pie shop and she suggested we come back for the music at dinner time (which we took her up on).
After a nap, I went looking for some inspirational gardens for some watercolor painting and discovered the Drury Lane Book Store.  They had a poet coming in for a reading from her most recent book and I couldn't resist coming back for that.  It was lovely and inspiring, but the light wasn't quite right for the pictures of the window boxes.  So, after we'd eaten our delicious dinner at The Pie Shop and the sun neared the horizon, Ken waited for me ( listening to live amplified acoustic guitar) while I walked the two blocks back to get more photos of the gardens at the book store - light still not right.  I decided I need morning light and I hiked back to the pie shop and rejoined Ken to finish our chocolate cake dessert and then back to the motel for the evening.  I think I'll relax in the whirlpool before retiring and then we have to drive back home tomorrow to face the remodeling challenges and our regular lives.  I think I could enjoy a whole week in Grand Marais.  And maybe... I could get that painting done too.

No comments:

Post a Comment