Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tuesdays with Rellie



Tuesday is my day of child's play: my grand daughter, Aurelia, is almost 2.5 years old and comes to stay with me this one day of the week. I know she's learning from me and I need to be careful about what I'm modeling to a certain extent, but I'm so grateful for all the things she teaches me and reminds me to practice. Lately, she's taken to asking people to run with her... inside the house. So, today, we hadn't gotten any opportunities to go out and it didn't look likely because of her need for a nap and the complications of being in the midst of potty training, so I asked her if we should do some running. Of course, she said yes and we ran between the front door and the back door, through the living room, dining room and kitchen falling against the door with each completion of the circuit. Beyond being reminded that I need to lose twenty pounds, I really felt the joy of child's play. We giggled and we created little nuances in the game spontaneously; her laughter infecting me and raising my spirits with each trip around and each slap of the door. Sometimes she would lead and she'd say "You're chasing me." and I would agree with her and then "catch" her and tickle her belly before we turned around and ran again, this time me first.
Child's play is so much more than it's made out to be. I recommend it, highly.

No comments:

Post a Comment